Los Cabos is a beautiful destination that offers endless opportunities for adventure and relaxation. With its stunning beaches, vibrant culture, and unique natural attractions, Los Cabos is an ideal spot for families looking to spend quality time together. If you’re planning a trip to Los Cabos with your kids, you might be wondering what activities you can enjoy as a family. From exciting outdoor adventures to relaxing spa days, Los Cabos offers a variety of experiences that both kids and parents will love.
In this article, we’ve compiled a list of ten fun things to do with your kids in Los Cabos. Whether you’re looking to explore the great outdoors or simply unwind and relax, there’s something for everyone in this beautiful destination. So, grab your sunscreen and get ready to discover the best family-friendly activities in Los Cabos!
1. A Walk or Stroll in the Cabo San Lucas Marina
Cabo San Lucas Marina is a bustling waterfront area that offers a great place for a family walk or stroll. With its stunning views of luxury yachts, turquoise waters, and charming shops and restaurants, the marina is an ideal spot for families to enjoy a leisurely walk while soaking up the local culture and scenery.
Kids will love watching the boats and people-watching, and parents can enjoy the lively atmosphere and take advantage of the many shops and restaurants. There are many options for grabbing a snack or a drink, and you might even find a street performer or two.
The marina is particularly beautiful in the evening when the sun sets and the lights of the boats and buildings reflect in the water. Make sure to bring your camera to capture some amazing family memories.
- Wear comfortable walking shoes, as the marina can be quite large and you’ll want to explore all the nooks and crannies.
- Consider taking a guided walking tour to learn more about the history and culture of the marina.
- Be aware of the many street vendors and salespeople, and use caution if you choose to buy any souvenirs or take any photos with animals.
2. Wild Canyon Adventures
Wild Canyon Adventures is a popular eco-park that offers a variety of exciting activities for families with kids of all ages. From ziplining and bungee jumping to camel rides and animal encounters, Wild Canyon Adventures has something for everyone.
One of the most popular activities at Wild Canyon Adventures is the zipline tour, which features a thrilling ride across multiple lines that soar over the beautiful desert landscape. Kids will love the adrenaline rush of zipping through the air, and parents can rest easy knowing that the park follows strict safety guidelines and protocols.
Other exciting activities at Wild Canyon Adventures include ATV tours, a giant swing, and the Bungee Bombers attraction, which involves jumping off a platform and freefalling toward the ground before being caught by a bungee cord.
For families with younger kids, there is the Animal Kingdom Encounter, where they can interact with and learn about animals such as iguanas, parrots, and snakes. And for a fun water park experience, there’s Wagoona Splash Island, which features a variety of slides, splash pads, and other water attractions. The park also has a dedicated play area for toddlers, making it an ideal spot for families with younger kids to cool off and have fun in the sun.
- Some activities at Wild Canyon Adventures have height, weight, and age restrictions, so make sure to check the requirements before booking.
- Wear comfortable and appropriate clothing for the activities you plan to do.
- Bring sunscreen and insect repellent, as you’ll likely be spending a lot of time outdoors.
- Book in advance, as some activities can fill up quickly during peak season.
3. Glass Bottom Boat Tour
One of the best ways to explore the underwater world of Los Cabos is by taking a glass-bottom boat tour. These tours offer a unique perspective of the ocean and its inhabitants, allowing families to see various marine creatures up close without getting wet.
During the tour, you’ll have the opportunity to see colorful fish, sea turtles, manta rays, and even whales (during the whale-watching season from December to April). The glass bottom boats are equipped with special viewing panels that allow passengers to observe marine life without disturbing their natural habitat.
The boat tours also provide stunning views of the coastline and rock formations that make Los Cabos so famous, including the iconic El Arco (the arch), a rocky formation at the tip of Land’s End that is one of the most photographed landmarks in the region. Some tours even stop at secluded coves or beaches, allowing passengers to swim and snorkel in crystal-clear waters.
- Bring a waterproof camera or a GoPro to capture the stunning views and marine life.
- Wear comfortable clothing and shoes suitable for a boat ride.
- Apply sunscreen and bring a hat, as the sun can be intense on the water.
- Check the tour operator’s reputation and safety record before booking, and make sure they adhere to responsible eco-tourism practices.
4. Whale Watching
Whale watching is an incredible experience that the whole family can enjoy together. From mid-December to April, gray whales and humpback whales migrate from the cold waters of the Arctic to the warmer waters of Baja California, passing through Cabo San Lucas.
The best time to go whale watching in Los Cabos is during this migration season, when you’ll have a good chance of seeing these majestic creatures breaching, spyhopping, or fluking (showing their tail) as they swim and play in the ocean. Humpback whales are the most common whales seen during whale-watching tours in Los Cabos, known for their acrobatic displays and vocalizations.
Just like the glass bottom boat tours, whale-watching tours provide stunning views of the coastline and rock formations that make Los Cabos so famous, including the famous El Arco (the arch) at the tip of Land’s End.
There are several whale-watching tours available in Los Cabos, and most of them are led by experienced guides who can share their knowledge and insights about these amazing creatures. Some tours even include hydrophones that allow you to listen to the whales’ songs and calls.
- Book your whale-watching tour in advance, especially if you’re traveling during peak season.
- Consider bringing a sweater or light jacket to keep warm, as it can get chilly on the water.
- Bring binoculars to get a closer look at the whales and other marine life.
- Choose a responsible and eco-friendly tour operator that follows the guidelines for whale watching established by the Mexican government.
5. Surf Lessons
If your family is looking for a thrilling and active way to spend a day in Los Cabos, then why not try surfing? The area is renowned for its excellent waves, and there are plenty of surf schools and instructors ready to teach you the ropes.
There are numerous surf schools in Los Cabos that offer lessons to kids and adults alike. Prices typically range from $70 to $100 USD per person for a two-hour lesson, depending on the school and the level of instruction. Some surf schools require kids to be at least 8 years old to take lessons, while others may allow younger children to participate with parental supervision.
Surfing is a great way to get the whole family outside and active. It’s a fun and exhilarating experience that can be enjoyed by all ages and skill levels. Not only does surfing provide an opportunity to learn a new skill, but it’s also a great way to bond with your family and make memories that will last a lifetime.
- Look for lessons tailored to kids or families, with experienced instructors who know how to work with children and beginners.
- Choose a location with a gentle, beginner-friendly break, such as Costa Azul or La Playa Monumentos.
- Make sure to wear a leash, a rash guard or wetsuit to protect from sunburn and board rash, and plenty of sunscreen to prevent sunburn.
- Start with the basics: paddling, standing up, and falling safely.
- Don’t go out too far or beyond your skill level, and always keep an eye out for other surfers and hazards in the water.
- Listen to your instructor and follow their advice on safety and etiquette in the water.
- Have fun and enjoy the experience, but always be respectful of the ocean and its power.
Snorkeling in Los Cabos is an unforgettable experience that your whole family will enjoy. With its clear waters, colorful fish, and diverse marine life, it’s no wonder that snorkeling is such a popular activity in the area. The two main locations for snorkeling are Santa Maria Beach and Chileno Bay, both of which are located in the protected marine reserve and are home to an array of vibrant and colorful fish.
Snorkeling is an excellent activity for families as it’s suitable for all ages and provides an up-close experience with marine life. It’s a great way to introduce kids to the wonders of the underwater world and create lasting memories.
- Consider renting gear for the duration of your vacation from a reputable gear rental company.
- Ask for recommendations on the best snorkeling spots in the area.
- Make sure to wear sunscreen and bring a hat and sunglasses to protect yourself from the sun.
- Always check the weather and water conditions before heading out to snorkel.
- Always snorkel with a partner and never alone. Never leave children unsupervised, even if they are avid swimmers.
- Follow local regulations and guidelines for snorkeling to help preserve the marine environment. Remember, you’re a visitor in their habitat.
7. Horseback Riding
Horseback riding is a fantastic way to explore the natural beauty of Los Cabos. There are several tour operators that offer horseback riding tours in the area, including Rancho Carisuva, Cuadra San Francisco, and Cabo Adventures. Depending on the tour operator you choose, you can ride on the beach, in the desert, or even in the mountains. Some tours even offer sunset rides, which are a magical way to experience the beauty of the area.
Horseback riding is a great activity for families because it’s a fun and unique way to experience the beautiful landscape of Los Cabos. Kids and adults alike will love the thrill of riding a horse and taking in the stunning scenery. It’s also a great opportunity to get out and spend some time in nature.
During the tour, you can expect to receive instructions on how to ride the horse and learn more about the area’s flora and fauna. Some tours also offer stops for swimming or snacks, so be sure to ask your tour operator what’s included. Overall, horseback riding is a memorable experience that you won’t want to miss during your trip to Los Cabos.
- Wear comfortable, closed-toe shoes with a small heel and pants or shorts that allow for movement.
- Consider bringing a hat, sunscreen, and insect repellent to protect against the sun and bugs.
- Make sure that the horses are well-cared for and that the tour operator has a good reputation.
- Enjoy the experience and the opportunity to bond with your family and the horses!
8. Turtle Release
The turtle release activity is a unique experience that allows visitors to help local conservationists with the release of baby sea turtles into the ocean during the nesting season, which typically runs from June to December. The activity is designed to raise awareness of the conservation efforts being made to protect these endangered creatures and to involve visitors in these efforts.
Turtle release is an educational and fun activity that is suitable for families with children of all ages. It provides a unique opportunity to teach children about the importance of conservation and protecting marine life. Children will have the chance to see baby sea turtles up close and learn about the challenges these animals face as they make their way to the ocean.
- Be respectful of the turtles and follow the instructions of the guides
- Arrive early to ensure a good spot and to hear the educational talk provided by the guides
- Be patient and flexible, as the timing of the releases is dependent on the turtles’ hatching schedule
- Enjoy the experience and feel good knowing that you’re helping to support the conservation of these incredible creatures.
9. Kid-friendly Spa Day
A spa day might not be the first thing that comes to mind, but many spas in the area offer kid-friendly services, such as massages, facials, and manicures.
Kid-friendly spas provide an excellent opportunity for parents and children to bond while relaxing and rejuvenating. Spa treatments can help alleviate stress and anxiety while promoting feelings of calmness and relaxation, making it a perfect way to unwind from a long day of adventure. It’s also a great way to teach kids about self-care and the importance of taking care of their bodies and minds.
- Look for spas that offer special treatments and services for kids.
- Check the spa’s policies on age requirements and parental supervision.
- Consider booking a family package or group deal for a more affordable option.
- Communicate any special needs or concerns with the spa staff before your visit.
- Encourage kids to relax and enjoy the experience in their own way.
10. Spend the Day at a Swimmable Beach
Los Cabos is known for its stunning beaches, and spending a day at a swimmable beach is a must-do activity for families. Some popular options include:
- Medano Beach: A two-mile stretch of beach in the heart of Cabo San Lucas with plenty of water activities and beachside restaurants.
- Santa Maria Beach: A smaller, quieter beach that’s great for snorkeling and swimming.
- Chileno Beach: A favorite spot for families with calm waters and amenities like showers and restrooms.
Spending a day at a swimmable beach is a great way to enjoy the sunshine, sand, and water with your family. Kids can build sandcastles, play in the water, and explore the shoreline while parents can relax on a beach chair and take in the beautiful scenery.
- Look for the colored flag that indicates ocean conditions. If the flag is red, don’t get in the water.
- Avoid swimming alone and never leave children unattended in the water.
- Wear sunscreen and stay hydrated
- Follow any posted signs or warnings and be aware of any hazards like rocks or currents.
- Remember to leave the beach as you found it by cleaning up your trash and belongings before you go.
Thank you for reading this article on the top 10 family-friendly activities to do in Los Cabos. We hope you found it informative and helpful in planning your next family vacation. Los Cabos offers a wide range of activities for families, from water sports and beach fun to cultural experiences and nature tours.
Don’t forget that Los Cabos is an excellent destination for families, with its beautiful beaches, delicious cuisine, and welcoming atmosphere. We encourage you to explore all that Los Cabos has to offer and create lasting memories with your loved ones.
If you need additional recommendations or have any questions, please don’t hesitate to get in touch with us. We’re always happy to help you plan the perfect family vacation. Thank you again for reading, and we hope to see you soon in Los Cabos!